Saturday, April 25, 2009

Public vs. Private

So, I’ve been thinking a lot about something lately. I don’t pretend that this is a new insight and others have articulated it much better than I can, but I think it is worth repeating and pondering anew given the direction that the current administration seems to be moving with centralized, government oversight and control.

Today I had to go UPS to mail a package. It took me about two minutes to do what I needed to do including getting the mailer, the label, and paying. There was no wait. At the United States Postal Service, just down the street, I regularly wait for at least twenty minutes, regardless of the time of day.

I don’t mean to criticize the post office, they actually do a good job moving all the mail in an efficient way. But I can’t help think about the difference. The private company seems faster and more responsive.

Think of the last time you went to a gas station or an ATM. You just assumed that the machinery would work, right? And it probably did. Not a big deal. Barring unusual circumstances, you probably didn’t have to wait in a long line and were in and out in a few minutes.

Now think of the last time you went to the DMV or somewhere like that. If you were lucky, you got in and out in less than an hour, but that would be really unusual in my experience.

I had to go get a birth certificate copy last year and went to a state office. It took quite a long time and required a great deal of waiting. There was no parking, either, so it took me several hours all told. To get a piece of paper printed.

Why can I go to McDonald’s with my whole family and be in and out in under five minutes?

In the course of my church work, I have frequently had to go to two hospitals. They are right next to each other. One is a university hospital and the other is the VA. It is amazing the difference between the two. The VA is grim and dreary. It always seems dim and dark. There is never anyone there to help you find rooms. The patients seem to be totally isolated and on their own. The whole experience feels like living in Kansas in the first part of The Wizard of Oz—it’s dark and gray. There is an almost palpable feeling of despair and dreariness in the air.

The other hospital, across the street is exactly opposite. It is bright and airy. There are receptionists and others to help you. The décor is pleasant and inviting. Patients call for a nurse and don’t wait for a small eternity.

The difference is pretty clear to me. Public operations, no matter how well intentioned just don’t work as well as private ones. I am open to correction on this if I am missing something that the government runs that works really well.

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this in countless places. One of the worst was when we took the Amtrak train from Utah to California. We'd move forward, then stop, move forward, then stop, until we finally arrived at our destination 12 hours late. I was aghast at this, but as we talked to some of the people on-board who had ridden before, they were quick to tell us that this is just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO true. It makes me crazy to think about how it must have been in Russia and East Germany.

    ReplyDelete