Monday, November 15, 2010

Shielded from the Consequences of their Decisions

Secretary Napolitano assures us that the new body scans and the enhanced pat-downs are really ok. The scans are safe and the pat-downs are discreet. She said this in a piece she wrote that was published in USA Today.

I don't like to be cynical. When an official of the government at her level speaks, I want to believe her.

But here's my problem.

Secretary Napolitano (and others at her level) don't have to endure these scans and pat-downs. To me, this is a micro-cosmic snapshot of what is wrong with our government. Those who make decisions are essentially insulated from the real-world effects of those decisions. She asks us to be supportive and patient--but will she ever have to deal with this?

I had the same problem with the healthcare reform bill. The Representatives and Senators who voted for this will not really have to live with the consequences. Nor will they have to live with Social Security, for good or bad.

It seems fundamental to me that as soon as decision-makers are removed from the consequences of their decisions, the decisions are going to be problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment