Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Obama's Date with Broadway

Well, there’s been a bit of a flap lately about President Obama taking Mrs. Obama to go see a play on Broadway. The RNC is condemning this action and so there has been a minor flap.

It seems to me that this is really a non-issue. I am not a fan of the President. I think he is destroying our country’s present and future, either because he’s misguided or malicious. But you know, if he wants to go with is wife to see a play, so what? Yes, it was at taxpayer expense, and I suppose with all the money he made on his book it would be good of him to repay that to the treasury. But the truth is that pretty much everything the President (any of them) does is at taxpayer expense.

I feel compelled to point out the obvious: he doesn’t have the option of jumping into a passenger jet, flying to NYC, and then taking a cab from LaGuardia. That’s not realistic. Because of security and protocol, there is only one way for him to travel. Does this mean that he needs to be a hermit and never go anywhere or do anything?

Now, President Clinton abused this, I think. He went to NYC all the time and would close down major thoroughfares for hours. This was routine. I think that’s a problem. But come on, going out on a date once in a while?

It seems to me that the RNC is extremely tone-deaf. This is going to make them look like bullies. As soon as they picked this fight they lost. And they deserve to.

One thing that does grate though, is how agog the press is that the President and First Lady went on a date. It's gross. The press need to get lives. Also, they are rankly hypocritical. Can you imagine the outrage and indignation had the Bushes done something like this? Spittle would have been flying from the mouths of wild-eyed reporters as scowling anchors solemnly compared this to Nero fiddling while Rome was burning. That is annoying. But that's not the Obama's fault.

Mr. President: I hope you enjoyed your date. More power to you.

Ok, now can we get back to all the stuff that we should be criticizing: the bajillion dollar stimulus/piñata for left-wing groups, the green economy boondoggle, appointing judges who think law is made in appellate courts, and the attempt to bring the efficiency and sensitivity of the DMV and post office into our health care system?

3 comments:

  1. Once again, I think you're right on. It does make the Repubs seem small, and that is exactly what we DON'T need right now. As you point out, there are certainly plenty of substantive things to criticize this administration for. LOL- "stimulus/pinata for left-wing groups". Well said!

    BTW, how nice to see new posts. I missed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Brade. I agree that a fight like this is a can't win. It's tone-deaf publicity ploys like this that makeit nearly impossible for me to read political publications at all. The never ending tit for tat is just infuriating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am growing extremely weary of the way each party waits and watches for any thing to take issue with. I have definitely been guilty of that before, but have come to despise it! I feel like if we have any shot of pulling the republican party together again, we have GOT to rise above this kind of tit for tat, as Ryan put it. I feel completely uninformed because I don't trust the conservative rant shows nor but all the other media seems to be so liberally biased. Frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete