Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reprehensible

I have been busy with lots of real-life stuff lately so I haven’t been able to follow the news much, which means I have had very little to say about anything. But I just heard about the murder of the doctor who performed abortions.

I just want to say that I think this is a terrible thing. It is murder and it is wrong. Beyond being morally wrong, it is a dangerous for all of us. To the extent that we, as a country, live within the law we are reasonably safe. To the extent we slip away from that, any of us is in danger.

I think that it is really important for people who oppose abortion to be clear about this and to disassociate ourselves from people who do terrible things. Whether you are killing an adult or a baby, murder is wrong and ugly.

6 comments:

  1. i read an interesting article in slate by a liberal writer saying that, given that pro lifers view abortion to be nothing short of murder, than the logical extension of that is that we would do everything (even killing him, just as it would behoove us to kill Hitler) in our power to stop a mass murderer like Tiller. I know that's a bit simplistic, but I kind of agree with the logic.

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you saying you agree with the conclusion, or just reporting it without comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I empathize with both arguments.

    On the one hand, working within the framework of the law will probably prevent more abortions than an army of abortion doctor assasins in the long run. It also matters that there are good pro choice arguments and that these doctors aren't acting with malice, but with the best of intentions, in their minds.

    On the other hand, from a pro lifer's perspective, these people are engaging in mass murder every day and every day we don't forcibly stop them is a day more innocent babies die.

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, Christian - seriously? There are some scriptures that back up that argument, but I seriously doubt these people who murder doctors have truly been spoken to by the voice of God. I realize that's impossible to prove; but I think generally the rule has got to be if we're against murdering babies, we're against murder. We have no more right to take a doctor's life than they do to take a baby's life. It's the ultimate hypocrisy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe that the scriptures also say "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "Vengeance is my sayeth the Lord". Now do not get me wrong I am by definition pro-life. Therefore in that vein that means that all life is precious. Pro-lifer's who go to far and take the lives of those that do not believe as they do is just as wrong. It is every American's right to free speech and just because I do not like or believe in what you say, does not give me the right to murder you, it gives me the right to speak against you.


    LB

    ReplyDelete